Thursday, July 9, 2009

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 express edition?

I am a college student and have worked in C++ before but in the Unix environment. I just started using Visual C++ Express Edition (Version 8.0). I am using it for a data mining project. So I have to work with a MySQL database which is present on my local windows machine.





I have some very basic questions:





1.From the IDE when I try to create a new project (File-%26gt;New-%26gt;Project),I see three options. CLR, Win 32 and General. Each option has a few templates, I am not sure what do these options mean and what is the best option for me, can anyone explain this briefly ?





2.I want to use the BOOST library(for some algorithms) and MySQL++ library (connection to MySQL database) and STL. Where do I add these libraries to my project? Do I have to build them seperately ? What does building a library mean ?





Thanks

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 express edition?
You said you had previous C++ programming experience?





Q1:


CLR refers to managed C++. Managed C++ is the .NET version of C++, so if you are running standard C++ code, this is not what you want.


Win32 refers to Win32 applications. Only pick this if you are writing specific Win32 API code. That is, no console window. You know how to use the Win32 API. And so on.


I'm not sure what general means. Is there an option for command line? If not, general would refer to the command line programs. It's a good bet this is the kind of program you want to write.





Q2:


I don't recall the exact steps for adding libraries and includes. You'll have to open up the project settings. Somewhere, you should be able to add in include paths and lib paths. For each library you want to use, add the appropriate include folder to the include path list, and the library folder to the library path list.





%26gt; Do I have to build them seperately ?


You'll want to build the libraries you use before using them. Otherwise, you can't use them.





%26gt; What does building a library mean ?


Why do you compile code? Because otherwise it's useless. You want to use a library right? A library is a bunch of code. But it's useless as code. You need it to be compiled to be usable.





EDIT: What do you mean by use the STL? Do you mean STLPort? Visual C++ comes with a solid implementation of the STL, so you don't really need STLPort.


No comments:

Post a Comment